While I will discuss my Professional Development Day experience in a later blog post, I just wanted to talk briefly about why I love Pro. D Days. There are so many reasons!
1. I love that you get to catch up with people you may only see a couple of times a year – at these events.
2. I love that you can revisit connections you have made at previous workshops.
3. I love just sitting back, listening, and taking it all in. Today I was even able to tweet from the workshop – what fun!
4. I love that the focus of the day is on my own learning and not on the learning of 500 students and staff (although, my learning will directly impact these students and staff in days/weeks/months/years to come).
5. I love when the lightbulbs go off during the workshop – those “A Ha!” moments.
6. After really powerful workshops / Professional Development experiences, I love when those “A Ha!” moments happen later that evening as well, as they did for me tonight.
7. I love creating common experiences with others (hopefully staff) experience the same workshop. I love looking across the table at someone with a nod, a grimace, or a shake of a head, knowing that both of you are thinking of exactly the same thing. The workshop resonated with both of you.
8. I love that days like this change me as an educator, a person, and a mother. Days like this make me better at life.
9. I love that Professional Development Days allow you the opportunity to think back and reflect on your practise. Only good can come out of this reflection process. Without reflection, growth is very difficult, if not impossible.
10. And, while this may not be that substantial or seem nearly as important as all the others, I love that I don’t have to make lunch on Pro. D. Days – my lunch or my kid’s lunches. What a joy. :-)
What do you like about Professional Development Days?
If you are an educator in BC, what did you do today? What was the most important thing you learned today?